So you want to save YouTube videos offline: Today, Howtechwork will be showing you many ways to download YouTube videos. Just read till the end.
Well, the truth is we all love YouTube since we learn a lot from most YouTube videos. And as well those video’s entertain us, and we have fun.
Now let assume you are going to a place without an internet connection, then it becomes difficult to watch your favourite channel. This tutorial will teach you how to download YouTube videos onto your computer.
There are many options available for you when it comes to downloading YouTube videos offline.
There are many websites online which you can use, & dozen of programs that allow you to save YouTube videos offline.
Few Examples of such programs are:
4K Video Downloader. etc.
Most of these tools allow you to download YouTube videos in any quality you want. You can download HD videos of up to 4K high definition.
The famous Windows PC media player is known as Vlc media player also has a feature that allows you to stream YouTube videos into a file on your computer; Which results in HD videos of up to 1080p high definition.
However, most of the methods we are going to outline below will work mostly on PC; you can as well download YouTube videos with a smartphone.
In this lengthy guide, we’re going to show you different methods and tools to download YouTube videos.
Our disclaimer on downloading youtube videos
Keep in mind that YouTube is designed only to allow users to watch videos on the YouTube website. But this day’s Many users want to download/save their favorite YouTube videos to their devices. So that they can watch them without being connected to the Internet.
You download YouTube videos at your own risk.
Also keep in mind that, downloading YouTube videos may not look illegal, but it is against Google’s terms of service. And you have to know that downloading copyrighted content for Example (music, videos, clips), etc., is illegal.
Official YouTube method of downloading YouTube videos
Back then, in September 2013. Google announced that YouTube would include offline viewing YouTube mobile apps. However, until now, nothing of such happen.
But recently, Google launches the YouTube Go smartphone application.
An application that is specifically designed to download YouTube videos in countries where mobile data is too expensive for streaming videos.
Google also launches another premium service called YouTube Premium that allows users in certain countries to download YouTube content.
Users from mostly tier 1 countries, for example, the UK and the US. The issue here is that YouTube Premium is not a free service; it is a paid service.
However, if you are the type that likes to download YouTube videos from time to time, then it worth the price. The price is around £11.99/$11.99 each month.
But if you only download YouTube videos occasionally, it may not be the best option for you.
That is precisely why today we will be revealing several methods to save YouTube videos offline to you.
Download/save YouTube video offline without software
In the below guide, we will be showing you how to save YouTube videos offline using third-party applications. And also without any applications at all.
Download youtube videos using YouTube Premium
Like I have said earlier, If you have a YouTube Premium subscription, you’ll enjoy a lot of advantages.
These advantages include the ability to download videos from YouTube, which you can later watch offline without the use of any third-party program/software.
You will be able to download youtube videos, but cannot use any other app to play it
With YouTube premium subscription, when you start watching a video, a download button will be available. Just click on the grey color ‘Download’ button under the player, then select the quality you want.
Immediately the downloading should begin.
Once the video has downloaded from YouTube successfully, the video will now be available in your library or Account tab.
Also note that, even with YouTube premium, you still have to be signed in into your account before you can watch the downloaded videos.
Even though you are signed in, you will not be able to comment or likes videos when watching them offline.
Download YouTube video with browser & download sites
Well, if you are not stable financially to subscribe to the YouTube premium, you are not alone. There are dozens of website out there that allows you to save YouTube videos to your device.
Even though those websites are so many, we will try and list most of them here for you. But we will only explain how to use just one out of the dozens of sites that allow you to download YouTube videos.
The rest of the websites are pretty much the same; they all allow you to save YouTube videos offline, by just copying the YouTube video link from YouTube & paste it into the website that will enable you to download youtube videos.
Some website even allows you to choose the quality format you want from high to low resolution. You can also download a whole YouTube playlist, not just a single video.
Few Youtube downloader websites listed
- Clip Converter.
- Keep Vid.
- Video Grabby.
- Online Video Converter.
- Get Video.
- Youtube Downloader HD.
Another good news here is that most of these websites have an extension or plugins for most popular browsers. These extensions make downloading of videos from any of their supported website’s more comfortable.
Using these plugins, you will not have to go through the manual method of copy and paste that will be listed below.
The browser extensions allow you to download videos from youtube in on click.
Download video from YouTube using savefrom.net
Savefrom.net is one of the websites that makes it possible to download YouTube videos and watch it without an internet connection.
Follow this step by step guide to use this excellent website.
1. First thing first, go to YouTube.
2. Search for the YouTube video you want to download, on the video page where the video is about to play.
3. Go to the address bar at the top of the page, click on the link to high light all the link in the address bar.
Or better still press Ctrl+L on your keyboard to highlight the text in the address bar.
4. Now press Ctrl+C to copy the URL/Internet address.
MAC USER: If you are using a Mac/Apple computer, you will have to use the Ctrl with the Command key.
5. Now that you have copied the address Go to savefrom.net. You will found a text field box, where it will ask you to paste your video address.
6. To download the YouTube videos, you need to paste that address into the text field. You can do this by clicking inside the box and pressing Ctrl+V on your keyboard.
Sometimes immediately you paste the video link, the website will start loading the video quality for you. And sometimes you may need to click the download button yourselves.
7. Now click the Download button which is at the front of the text field, the video should now load the available quality.
If you follow the above-listed procedure correctly, you should now be seeing the preview of the video, just like the below image.
Now you can click on the video format drop-down button, to select the exact video format that you want. Immediately you click on your preferred format, the video should begin to download.
Ignore any ads that might pop up, and easily download the YouTube videos.
Download youtube video via savefrom.net the easiest form
The simplest method to do this is listed below.
- Go to the address bar on the page of the video you want to download.
2. Just type double “SS” the beginning of the YouTube video page, then hit enter.
The image below shows how the video URL looks like before adding “SS”.
And this is how it will look like after adding ss.
3. The page will load and take you to savefrom.net website automatically; then you can proceed from there. NB: Using the savefrom.net browser extension is much more comfortable.
Only because it makes the download button appears beneath each video page.
All you have to do is to click on the download button, and immediately the downloading will start.
Download youtube video using convert2mp3
Just like we have listed some website for you above, Convert2mp3 is also another website which allows you to download YouTube videos.
To save YouTube videos for offline use, using the Convert2mp3 website, follow the below instruction.
1. Visit YouTube using your web browser, and search for the video you want to download. The top search bar on YouTube is always there to accept any keyword from you, and search.
Once you found the video, you can start playing the video to make sure it’s the correct video you want. Now that you are on the video download page, and it is about to be playing, go to step 2 below.
2. At the top of the video page, you will see the video link in the address bar. Copy the link by Clicking and drag across the address to highlight it, then press Ctrl+C on Windows. On MAC computers use ⌘ Command+C.
NB: Before you read further, please note that this convert2mp3 website cannot be used to download copyrighted content.
Example, videos and music that include copyrighted info’s.
You can only download YouTube videos without copyright.
3. Now that you have copied the YouTube video link to the clipboard open a new browser tab and Go to convert2mp3.
When you get to convert2mp3 website, Paste the youtube video link you copied above in the text field. Near the middle of the page, click on the “Insert video link (URL) and select format”.
To paste the copied YouTube video link inside the convert2mp3 text box, press Ctrl+V if your a Windows user.
If you are on Mac computer use ⌘ Command+V, by now, you should see the YouTube video’s address inside the text box.
With convert2mp3 you can download any non-copyrighted YouTube content in HD versions.
4. Now on the right-hand side of the page, you will see a box named “mp3“. Click on it, and a drop-down menu will appear. In the drop-down menu, you will find an option named “mp4″ click on it.
5. Still, in the drop-down box menu, click on the “MP4 quality”, and select your preferred quality. Example: mp4 720p, mp4 1080, etc.
Keep in mind that you will not be able to select a quality higher than the quality used in the video.
Also, note that the highest quality you will be able to get is mp4 1080p. Sometimes, most videos will automatically download in mp4 720p quality even if the user select mp4 1080p.
6. By now you will see an orange button on the right side of the page, named “convert”.
Click on the convert button and Convert2MP3 will begin converting the YouTube video link into an MP4 file.
Please keep in mind that, if you choose a quality that’s higher than the video’s quality, you will get an error.
You will also receive an error message before the video can finish processing if you tried to download a copyrighted video.
7. At this stage, there will be a green DOWNLOAD button in the middle of the page. Click the Download button.
Immediately the YouTube video will start downloading into your computer or any device you are using.
Download/save youtube video offline with third-party software
The truth is, there are tons of software available in the market, which claims that they can download YouTube videos.
But here at Howtechwork, we will only tell you about the few once that has been tested and confirmed working by us.
Below is some popular software that you can use to save YouTube videos offline.
Download or save YouTube video offline with Vlc media player
Follow the below step by step procedure to download YouTube videos using the famous Vlc media player.
1. Open your web browser and Go to youtube, then locate the video you want to download. In case you could not found the video, you can use the search bar at the top to search for the video.
2. Just go to the address bar at the top of the page, then Copy the video’s URL. You can either click and drag across the address to highlight/select it.
Or click inside the address bar and then CTRL + A to select all. And then CTRL + C on Windows PC to copy the entire link.
⌘ Command+C on a Mac computer.
3. Now that the video page link has been copied to clipboard. You will Launch VLC media player software. In case you don’t have this VLC software, which is rare for a pc not to have, because it is a popular program.
You can download VLC for free at https://www.videolan.org.
VLC is an open-source video player, so you don’t need to pay for it. It has a lot of exciting features for playing all kinds of media file formats.
4. Just open the Network stream to download YouTube videos.
Network streams is a VLC media player feature that allows you to play media content from your web browser.
If you are on a Windows PC, Click on Media at the top of the Vlc software GUI then click Open Network Stream.
If you are on Mac computer, click File, then click Open Network.
5. By now a window will display with a text field. Now paste the YouTube video’s URL into the text field, that says “Please enter a network URL”.
On Windows PC press Ctrl+V, or ⌘ Command+V on Mac Computer.
Now you will see the YouTube video’s address appear inside the VLC text box.
6. Click the Play button at the bottom of the displayed window for windows PC user if you are on a Mac computer, press open.
The YouTube video should now be playing via VlC media player if you have a working internet connection.
7. Now you have to View the video’s codec information to be able to download the video from YouTube,
To view the videos codec information on windows PC; Click on Tools at the top of the VLC program then click on Codec Information.
If you are on a Mac COMPUTER, click on Window, then click on Media Information.
8. At the bottom of the displayed windows, you will see a text field labeled “Location”. You’ll see a long address inside the location text field.
Copy the long address inside the location text field input.
On Windows PC, right-click on the “Location” text field and click Select All or CTRL + A. And then right-click on it again and click Copy Or press CTRL + C.
Mac COMPUTER users will have to right-click or press Control + click the “Location” text field and click Open URL.
9. To be able to download the video from youtube, you will have to open it in the browser. Open a new browser tab and paste the copied URL, then press ↵ Enter.
The YouTube video will now be loaded directly in the browser.
NB: This step only applies to windows computer users.
If you are on a Mac computer, you can skip this step, since you have selected an Open URL in the previous step.
10. Now, you can easily Download YouTube videos, by simply right-clicking on the video in your browser.
In the drop-down menu, click Save video as The video will begin downloading onto your computer in MP4 format.
And it will automatically be given the name “video playback”; Though this step may be varied from browser to browser.
Depending on your browser’s settings, Some browsers may first ask you to select a location to save the media. And also enter a name for the YouTube video your file before the download begins.
Download youtube videos with VLC the easiest way
- Open VLC and click “Open Media”.
- Click “Network” and paste the YouTube video URL you want to download.
- If using Mac, select “Window” and then “Media Information”.
- If using Windows, select “Tools” and then “Codec Information”.
- Find the “Location” bar at the bottom and copy that URL.
- Paste that URL into your browser.
- Right-click the video and select “Save Video As”.
- Name the file and save it to the desired location.
- Right away, you can now download YouTube videos and save YouTube videos offline.
Download YouTube videos using 4K Video Downloader
4K video downloader is another beautiful software that also allows you to save YouTube videos offline.
you can download high definition YouTube videos up to mp4 1080p and above using this premium software.
To download YouTube videos with 4k video downloader, follow the below steps.
1. Launch your favorite web browser and visit YouTube.
2. Choose any video from the YouTube homepage.
You can as well use the Search bar at the top of the site to search for any video of your choice. Upon clicking on the video, it should begin to play, if you have a working internet connection.
3. Look at the top of the page and copy the video web address link.
To do this, on a Windows PC, click the video’s address in the bar at the top of your browser’s window. Then press Ctrl+A.
If you are on a MacBook, use ⌘ Command+A. It will select/highlight all the youtube video link.
Then you will now press Ctrl+C if you are on a window to copy the highlighted link.
If you are a MAC user, use the ⌘ Command+C to copy the video link.
4. Launch 4k video downloader by double-clicking the icon on the desktop.
Once the program opens, at the top left-hand side of the software windows, you will see a tab called PASTE LINK.
Click on the PASTE LINK tab, and 4K Video Downloader will extract the YouTube video address you copied earlier.
5. Now it is time to select the exact video format or the quality you want. Click on the “Format” drop-down box in the upper-right side of the software windows.
A list of different available video formats will be listed, ranging from Mp4 240p to mp4 1080p. Most videos even have a 4k format.
Now click the video format you want. Sometimes you may not see the “4K” video quality listed among the video format option.
That does not necessarily mean that the video does not support 4K.
You may try changing the video format from MP4 to MKV wich most of the time makes the 4K option to be available for download.
6. At the bottom right-hand side of the software, you will see a download button. Click on the Download button. And immediately, your download should start.
Sometimes you may want to select or change download location, in case you are not pleased with the default download location.
Everything is up to you.
7. To view and play the downloaded YouTube video follow the below steps.
Once the video finishes downloading: right-click on the video, and a context menu will appear. From the context menu click on Show in Folder.
Now the File Explorer will open, and you will be presented with your downloaded YouTube video.
You can now play it using any media player program on your PC.